In this song Leslie Feist breaks out problems of promiscuity and youth and having to deal with these problems near her death. The opening "[w]hen I was a young girl I used to seek pleasure, When I was a young girl I used to drink ale," breaks out these ideas of immoral activity when looking through the eyes of the Church, and the line "[c]ome send for the preacher to come and pray for me," makes her confession of the immoral acts obvious. "I saw this young lady all wrapped in white linen... and called out 'the plague', " is speaking of sexual activity being a plague with the woman with her pure white garb untarnished by sinful sexual acts. This is relevant to class because many women are victims of the church, especially when it comes to reproductive activity. They are forced to be uneducated of sex, and end up being stigmatized when a pregnancy or other repercussions from sexual activity.
Thursday, 19 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment